1. Whatever you do – do not get drunk. This is about the worst thing that can happen (and the best if it happens to someone else!).
2. Do not sit next to someone who you don’t like and get drunk. This can result in fights, particularly if it is your boss.
3. Avoid mistletoe (and alcohol). You could end up kissing the office dog.
4. Book a taxi and make sure you leave at 6pm and not 6am. This ensures you do not end up in a ditch at 6am singing songs about the Law Society.
5. Do not eat food that contains butter beans or soya. This ensures you do not inflict anything on the partners and other solicitors.
6. Do not complain about anything to the senior partner. Do not make the mistake of thinking that because they look inebriated, they are – most senior partners are capable of ingesting vast amounts of alcohol before forgetting what you said about the office manager.
7. Enjoy the party, as it is back to work on Boxing Day…
Author: Jonathan Fagan MIRP MAC Cert RP LLM Solicitor (non-practising) – Managing Director of Ten-Percent Legal Recruitment (www.ten-percent.co.uk) – save time, skip the legal job boards and register with us! Jonathan Fagan is a specialist legal recruitment consultant, author of the Complete Guide to Writing a Legal CV and the Guide to Interviews for Lawyers. He has recruited for law firms across the UK and overseas in all shapes and sizes. If you have any questions that we have not covered above, please email us at email@example.com