5 top tips for getting the most out of your vacation scheme with a solicitors’ firm
If you have any additional suggestions, please email them across!
1. Make notes every day on everything you do – very useful for future application forms and also for remembering at interview.
2. Speak to as many people as possible in the department. Ask questions whenever you can, but don’t be annoying.
3. Don’t be afraid to ask for work if you run out – don’t just sit at a desk and pretend to be doing work…
4. In group exercises, be aware that they are probably assessing you – try not to be the leader if you can help it – contribute your ideas coherently but don’t speak over the top of anyone else.
5. Ask your trainee solicitor (on most vacation schemes they attach you to one) lots of questions and make sure he/she remembers you…
Finally, don’t go and make yourself a cup of tea in the middle of the office and then fall flat on your face, spilling tea all over yourself, the floor and the file you were working on.. I remember this only too well….
Jonathan Fagan, MD Ten-Percent Legal Recruitment